Tuesday 17 April 2012

Mid-C16th Middle Class Englishwomen's Dress

Okay! So I'm not sure if this will be interesting for people or not, but I thought I'd get out a full set of garb (footwear not withstanding) and post a few pics of middle class Englishwomen's dress from c.1540.

Smock (and coif - it's not polite to have your hair uncovered in public ;). N.B. I'm wearing a bra because the linen is too fine to not wear it for decency reasons - it's not under the smock in any of the other images.
Kirtle - unlaced
 Kirtle - partly laced (showing downward spiral lacing)
Kirtle -laced closed
 Sleeves - pinned to kirtle shoulder
Gown (the neckline of the kirtle would usually match the gown in the 1540s, even for the middle class. I just thought it would be easier to keep the new kirtle on and go with it, but usually I'd wear a square-necked kirtle as well)
Hook and eye closure of the gown
Curve formed from the bust to the waist that is typical of the period
ACCESSORIES! As you can see, they make the outfit. Knitted rabbit-fur bonnet, partlet, girdle, purse and rosary.

Hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed dressing up for half an hour :)

2 comments:

  1. So awesome! :D

    If I get my new job I might have to throw lots of money and pony toys at you to make me some wool landsknecht ;)

    ReplyDelete