Saturday 23 February 2013

Flemish coif


2 updates in a night! Totally makes up for not coming through on the last one, right? O_O

1490 FLEMISH COIF
The pattern I used was stolen completely from Sevenstarwheel. Here is the link: http://sevenstarwheel.files.wordpress.com. I was referred to it by a friend and I really wanted to try it because:
  • It's well thought-out and based on period sources,
  • The construction is simple and practical and makes sense, and 
  • It is very economical, with 1 square yard making 2 coifs, something I think is very important when considering period construction techniques.
I didn't change anything about the pattern because she says she has a small head, and I do too. I followed the instructions, using the triangular half of a square foot of white linen and some white-ish linen canvas for reinforcing. 

Here's a picture showing the triangle insert that goes on the crown of your head. The tip of that large traingle you can see pointing to the left is set into the brim and points toward the forehead:
And here it is a ventral view:


Here is my step-by-step guide on how to wear it!

1. Put your hair in two braids, using a centre-part. You don't even have to do it neatly! I certainly didn't:
 2. Put your head through the weird-looking hood like you would a headband... or a noose. Make sure the triangle bit falls over the other bit - so you look like you're wearing a bib:
 3. Pin your braids on top of your head:
 4. Pull the thing back up your face by dragging on the triangle. Tie the ends of the triangle in a single knot (some period images show what might be a little bobbley double knot, too). It doesn't have to be very tight to stay on, which is great. You need to kind of roll the edges of the triangle in as you pull them up, otherwise it looks stupid. Tuck the ends of the triangle under the sides:
 5: Fold the brim back:
6: Ta-dah!

I'm very happy with it. It's super comfy, looks like it should and stays on without a problem. YES. Even more excitingly I have another triangle from which to make another hood, and two should be plenty to do me for now. Hooray!

More about the skirt soonish, I have some pics already but you've already had two updates for tonight. Back to work for me. :-/

~EC x 

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh I love this so much! :D

    This is one of the many patterns I intend to test as part of my coif project, so I'm glad to see that it works! I'm really looking forward to making a bunch of similar coifs and comparing which pattern works best.

    I look forward to your next update(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! Someone made my hood! It looks so cute on you :)

    ReplyDelete