Friday 14 December 2012

The 10-day vintage sewing zerg!

Okay, so my garb aspirations are on hold until I get myself patterned again. I'll be going to Tasmania at Christmas and until the end of January so I'm hoping I can get that sorted by someone lovely and generous while I'm there. :)

In the meantime, I've decided that I've had enough of waiting around to sew things and I'm going to use up a bunch of my fabric stash. I won't be able to take it with me when I move to Tassie (at the very least I need to shrink it), so as well as C15th stuffs I'm going to make an epic 10-day dash to make as many items of vintage clothing as I can, to clothe myself for my holiday.

I will be using A SEWING MACHINE, which I never do for historical clothing, and will hopefully make the goal achievable. I've been inspired by Vogue re-releasing some vintage sewing patters, so basically what I'm going  to make will be taken from a few different ones that I've managed to scrape together. Mostly the styles are 50s, but I'm adapting some others to flesh it out - I'm doing this for fun, after all, not authenticity.

The idea is to make a vintage wardrobe, or as much of it as I can in the time I have before Christmas. Here's my list!

  • V-necked pullover dress with bias bodice (V8789) - aqua/turquoise print.
  • Boat-necked pullover dress with button shoulders (V8789) - blue floral print.
  • Button-down dress with yoke and front tucks (V1044) - yellow batiste.
  • Blouse adapted from dress pattern (V1044) - white lawn.
  • Sleeveless blouse (2694) - white cotton/linen
  • Some other (probably collared blouse) - dunno what it will be or what it will be made from! Green?
  • Tea-length pleated circle skirt (just making it up as I go) - olive/cream printed silk
  • Solid-colour bias-cut circle skirt (also making it up) - some solid-coloured linen from my stash
  • Belted jacket (2694) - white heavy cotton/linen
  • Slacks (if I can find/makeshift a pattern) - black linen (which I already have) or wool (which I don't)
  • 2 scarves from scraps
  • A hat, maybe 2 if I have time and can find a pattern to make the process quicker.
Jesus, that looks like a lot... I wonder how much I can get done? 

Eeeee time to unwrap my new iron and gogogogogo!

P.S. If you have any patterns or links or anything that might help... please let me know! I love this kind of crazy fun zoomy sewing, and I really hope it'll make the interminible 10 days until Christmas/my first holiday in 3 years/ OMG TASMANIA go that much more quickly. *zooms*

No comments:

Post a Comment