Tuesday 18 December 2012

Wardrobe Zerg: 6 Sleeps, eek!

Whew! So today I did get most of the things on my To Do List done, although I don't have photos for all of them and will need to catch you up tomorrow or Thursday with them. I did get the whole bodice for Blue Floral made up though, and I have photos! I'm actually really happy with how it's turned out so far and I hope it ends up being as good as it promises to be.

So I evened up the facing to match the front and back panels that I'd fitted on my model I assembled the thing in about 2-3 hours, taking my time and watching The Forsyte Saga on iView, which is a well-written and very pretty period drama (if you're into that sort of thing... I doubt anyone would be surprised that I am!). Obviously the zip can't be inserted until the skirt is attached and I need to put buttons on the shoulders - for the minute I just pinned it so I could show you.

Front:
Side:

The neckline isn't sitting quite properly but I think that'll be sorted by attaching the buttons tomorrow and letting the shoulders sit more naturally - one pin in each just makes them stick out all funny. I've turned up the seam allowance to my natural waist so you can see that it sits pretty smoothly. There's about 10mm SA there currently, but I reckon that will increase to 15mm once the buttons are on the shoulders and the bodice sits properly - I'll have to remember to check it.

All in all it's sitting smoothly and comfortably without being at all tight and strained, so I'm really pleased. I'm definitely going to pleat the skirt, rather than gather it as per the pattern. I'm going to try for box pleats I think but knife pleats are an easy fall-back if there's too much skirt for box pleats to handle (which I suspect will be the case).

To finish Blue Floral:

  • Understitch facing and slipstitch to secure,
  • Attach buttons to shoulders, 
  • Check fit for waistline,
  • Run up, press and attach skirt (box/knife pleats),
  • Put in the zip,
  • Hem,
  • Ribbon belt.
I hope it shouldn't take me more than about 2-3 hours all up to finish it, so Thursday for sure. Then on to Yellow Batiste!

No comments:

Post a Comment